Seeking Truth, Transforming Lives
Saint Louis University is celebrating two centuries of educational excellence. As the first university in the American West, we are proud of our home in St. Louis and of our Catholic, Jesuit mission.
Our origins are humble. In November 1818, classes were offered to “young gentlemen” in a few rooms rented by newly arrived Bishop Louis DuBourg. Vincentian seminarians were studying theology nearby. A few years later, the Jesuits of the Missouri Mission began to run the school. And the rest, as they say, is history.
The bicentennial anniversary of Saint Louis University is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate together through public festivities, worship, lectures and the arts.
Moments in SLU History
SLU's campus moves to Grand Boulevard in Midtown St. Louis
The Billiken is created
The College of Arts and Sciences becomes co-educational
Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D., becomes SLU's first permanent lay president